Can't Think STR8!...

The blog for the twisted friends of mine.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Story of a night out in Belgium

So Saturday, we went to * Pay & Go Groove City 2004 * as planned. Here is the story.

The Music

Techno room
- Monika Kruse: We arrived to listen to the last hour of her set and she's really good!
- Carl Craig Live: That was weird. I didn't know exactly what to expect from a 'Live' dj. He wasn't actually spinning but another guy was and he was standing in front of the stage with a micro not even singing but making some noise with his voice. I found it pretty boring and weird.
- Cosmic Twins: This was the longuest set of the night and probably the best as well. I really much liked it. The sounds were interesting and various sometimes original. Sometimes weird and more like noise than music like explosion but overal it was great and the crowd really appreciated.
- Laurent Garnier: It was the first time I see him play and really he deserves his international reputation. He played some old tunes in techno rhytmes and that was great. The crowd was mad.

House room
- Frankie Knuckles: We didn't stay long because Cosmic Twins was playing at the same time and the music when we came wasn't that great. People looked bored and weren't dancing much. It wasn't bad but not good enough too stay and miss the set of Cosmic Twins.
-David Morales: I've seen him before in Montreal where he hold a residency at Stereo afterhours Nightclub. He was amazing as usual, very charismatic as always. If Monika Kruse was playing with a winter hunting jacket, he was halve naked, no shirts on. He played a great set but since he played at the same time as Garnier and I didn't know Garnier much, I went back there. Sorry beautiful David!

Drum 'n' Bass room
We just wait for a min in the drum 'n' bass room because I couldn't figure out what it was like. Brekbit was playing and it was great. There were loads of girls in that room. I guess that style is maybe preferred by girls because it is a the same rhytm as an aerobic class. It is fun to dance but I couldn't spend the night like that. I would have a heartattack or torn my ankle.

Electro Room
The electro room was tiny and crowded but when we went the music sucked really. It looked more like a chill out room and people weren't dancing. There was nothing to dance on anyway. I like electro a lot but that wasn't the electro I've heard in montreal.

The People
By the time we got there (9pmish), the people we met on the tram and busses were completely loaded of alcohol and could barely walk. I was really surprised. There were walking in the streets with gin or strong alcohol bottles, trying to get as drunk as possible before hitting there. It was so efficient that people checking in could barely stand on their feet for the security check. It was unreal! My brother was surprised I was so surprised. Welcome to Belgium! I thought...what it is going to be like when the same people are going to take drugs? At that stage of drunkness, there is no point they were able to enjoy the music so what the hell there were doing there?
I was sober when I arrived and didn't plan to be drunk. Only some sweets to stay up all night and enjoy the music. It was good.
They kept selling alcohol all night whcih I was suprised because it was forbidden in Canada and I guess I'm not use to it anymore. Redbull and beers were at the same price as as glass of water so there were our drinks.
A funny thing is that in Belgium it is ok for random people to ask other random people they don't know for free cigarettes or drinks whenever you have it and they don't. So you give them a cigarette or a sip of your drink as they walk by. I was shocked but my brother told me it is normal and people aren't mad about it. It is what everyone do and very handy if you're broke or if you can't be bother to go to the bar to get some drinks. Funny enough, I didn't remember that about Belgium.
So what else can I talk about?... Oh yes, we went to a private after party with many local cool DJ's and I made some more new friends. I have to say that it is extremely easy to make new friends here. And also when you have affinity with them, you become very close friend in a nanosecond. It is really great and nice. They look after you and introduce you to all their friends who become your new friends too. A bit like a big family. It's all nice and it make me like Brussels even more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home